Sunday, December 20, 2015

Imagining My Independence

Buzzing through my mind for the last few days is the completely incomprehensible fact that I have just 3 weeks left in my beloved New Zealand, my first love. Not even kidding, the more I discover about the rest of the world, the more I am thankful to have been born a New Zealander. However, I am absolutely ecstatic to be living abroad in 2016. I intend to regularly write about my experiences whilst living in Bahrain, so if that is a topic that intrigues you, feel free to follow my blog.

It is a huge life change, which I am definitely not fully comprehending at this moment. I don't think it will feel real to me until I'm actually at the airport in early January; my bags packed, passport in hand, farewelling my family. To quote Hilary Duff's 2003 hit single Metamorphosis:

"I've been so wrapped up, in my warm cocoon
but something's happening, things are changing soon.
I'm pushing the edge, I'm feeling it crack.
And once I get out, there's no turning back.
Watching the butterfly go towards the sun
I wonder what I will become...?"

As Hilary eloquently sings it, I am leaving the "warm cocoon" of my family home, and journeying to the other side of the world to have new experiences and gain new skills as a teacher support. I probably have been "pushing the edge" of my parents' patience in recent months...and "feeling it crack". Luckily, "once I get out" of New Zealand, I can in fact turn back, contrary to Hilary's mantra. I am quite a nature-loving hippie I suppose, and I wouldn't be surprised if "watching the butterfly go towards the sun" evoked deep thoughts about my identity, and the person I will evolve into as time passes.

Okay, so if you don't know me, now is about the time that I explain that I have a very wordy and fairly idiotic way of writing: you'll either love it, or you'll hate it, and that's fine with me.

Many lels,
Abby xoxoxo <3

2 comments :

  1. I haven't left yet Katelyn, haha! But that's really sweet of you. I hope you're having a good holiday. I'm missing you too, and the rest of the SNU gals :)

    ReplyDelete